Friday, January 1, 2010

Manly blanket

This was one of my Christmas gifts for Trev this year. A manly blanket, lovingly crocheted by his adoring wife. What more could a guy want, right?!



The thing that still amazes me is that Trev had no idea that this was coming. I managed to complete the whole thing in my spare time (!) during the day while he was at work.




After sewing in all the ends (whew), I opted to crochet the squares together, using this great tutorial. Lucy is amazing!




I actually love the ridges it creates on the reverse side. Kinda makes it seem more rugged, don't you think?

The blanket measures about 50 inches by 45 inches.

Some thoughts-
  • I wish I'd have followed advice to sew ends in as I went along. That was a boring task and almost became my downfall.
  • I enjoyed buying the yarn on sale but it did lead to a rather un-coordinated colour scheme. Next time, I think I will plan it out and buy yarn in advance.
  • I'll also play around with hook sizes- the fabric of this blanket is quite thick and heavy. I think it would be fun to do something lighter-weight.
  • I also think it would be fun to do something very colourful, like this, maybe. Obviously wouldn't have worked as a Manly Blanket, but I do believe I'm next in line for an afghan.
  • Trev likes it, and he uses it, which is what I was going for :-)

1 comment:

Helen said...

It looks FAB, must have taken ages. I can't believe you have this much spare time while looking after two little ones. CRAZY!